Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Tulips and Other Stories

Excuse me, pardon me, coming through, please step aside.  Thank you all so much for showing up today.  It means so much to me and I know it means even more to our friend, Mark from The Rambling Person .  

Most of you will remember Mark from the dedication post I did on my other blog and now I have the honor of hosting him on his blog tour for his new book, Tulips and Other Stories, now available at Amazon. The best part?  You don't have to have a Kindle to download it.  I don't own one and I'm still able to enjoy Mark's very well written book.  I'm enjoying it so much, I wanted to share it with all of you.
Buy It Here
Let me hand the floor over to the published author himself and offer my congratulations to him too!  I'm so proud of you, Mark! 
~~~@   ~~~@
At first I wasn't sure just what to write for this post. Which seems very odd if you know me as I'm usually able to just keep going once I have an initial idea and I had an initial idea here: I released a book, and Elsie is very kindly letting me promote it on her blog. I wanted to just do more than say that though, and I wanted to come up with some real kind of post. I ended up leaving it quite late, but I did find something to do in the end. I thought of how I could help keep it relating to Elsie's blog. If you've come across here before, and chances are you have, you know that in her time Elsie has managed to overcome quite a lot. I myself had to overcome a fair bit in relation to the book.

 
 I originally wrote the book when I went slightly insane and took a week away from blogging to write every day and by the end of the week I had a series of eight short stories.
 
 Insanity, it works!
 
 I sent them off to an editor friend of mine and the reply from him was not really what I was expecting, and not really good news. The general meaning of what he said was that the stories weren't bad but I could do better and the writing could really be improved. 
 
 This sent me in to one heck of a downward spiral. I was barely doing any writing other than my blog and I had trouble with that even. Every shred of confidence I had in my writing was gone and I was already depressed as it was. This only made me worse. 
 
 Fast forward a few months and I went in to therapy for my depression and the subject of my book actually came up. My therapist encouraged me to get around to editing them and I was finally able to start the editing. It took a while still because I couldn't force myself to do it. Though when I started editing them I saw what my friend meant and I was able to fix the stories. I even extended a few of them and made them much better. 
 
 Now when people criticise my writing, I try not to let it get me down and stop me. I have some faith in my writing, more than I've ever had. The fact the book isn't selling well does depress me, but I'm still trying to not let that get me down.
 
 My thanks go to Elsie for letting me say my piece, and everyone who has been there for me on my journey of writing and will still be there as I continue on it. Writing this book was quite a mental experience for me and no matter how it sells, I can say to myself that I did overcome my demons, and publish a book.
 
 Sometimes that's enough, sometimes it isn't. It's always true though.

31 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for letting me do this Elsie and thank you for the kind words before I came in to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome, Mark! It's a pleasure and I look forward to seeing all the banter back and forth between you and my readers! I wish you all the success with your book, you truly deserve it!!

      Delete
  2. Insanity works! Mark, I'm going to have that printed on a t-shirt! When someone criticizes your writing, you have to consider the source. Is the criticism constructive, is it coming from another writer and what does the person know about good or bad writing.

    Good morning Elsie!! I'm here second!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Anne! I was so surprised to be first on your blog, I'm never first! I am up with insomnia so I'll be crashing and burning soon ha ha ha!

      Delete
    2. Still bragging over here, geez so sad hahaha

      Delete
    3. We haven't posted on the same day in months. I'm beat all to hell too. It took hours and hours to set up this new computer. I slept about three hours then got up to comment. I'm hitting the sheets again now.

      Feck off Cat!

      Delete
    4. I know! You and I have such erratic schedules now. I just woke up after an hour's nap but think I'll need another after a few hours ha ha ha! To me, a new computer is fun to set up!! =P Sleep well, my friend.

      Yeah, feck off, Cat!!

      Delete
    5. Pffft I really feel so sorry for you and your erratic schedule... pfft yeah right

      Delete
    6. I like the computer just fine. It's Windows 8 that takes getting used to. It's completely different. It's got apps instead of programs. It seems to be geared towards the young market.

      Cat we feel sorry for you, because your you.

      Delete
    7. I wonder why Windows 8 is using apps? Kinda like an Apple, sounds like and I do love my Apple!! But, you knew that!

      Delete
  3. Nobody deserves his book to go well like Mark does. I haven't got around to getting this book yet but at some point I will and I know for a fact that I'm going to enjoy the book! Sounds seriously awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Matthew, he worked hard for this book!

      Delete
  4. Yep, no matter who you are uber famous or not, there will always be someone that doesn't like it and someone that does. As Anne said you have to consider the source, as sadly there are authors out there who rate competitors bad, just so the can try and beat down the competition. Just keep on keeping on, besides insanity is fun. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fear rejection and criticism so much that I've had a really hard time trying to sell my crafts and jewelry. I'm glad you stuck it out, Mark, and realized your dream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark I wish you the very best of luck!! I always enjoy my visits to your blog and I am inspired that you are chasing your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the published book ~

    Cheers to you ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Not sure why, but you went to spam....strange...thanks, Donna!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Spreading peace and love for me and Mark, thanks Bama!

      Delete
  10. Good for you, Mark! Editing sucks but it truly is an essential part of good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Believing in yourself enough to go back and rework your writing for the book takes a great deal of courage and determination and I really admire you for that, Mark! It sounds like your editor friend was on target because his comments led you to see ways you could improve on your initial effort. You have a powerful lesson for us all in this, not to give up after a first attempt. We are all a work in progress, and I am eager to get busy reading this book. Congrats to you, keep writing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you, Mark. Definitely part of the process of writing is learning to take criticism and make it work for you to improve. Best thing is you kept going, and now you've got a finished product to share with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done Mark for a achieving something so fantastic and which some of us can only dream about. It says a lot about what you can do, if you have faith in your writing (something that I seriously lack)and I hope that you go on to become a huge success in the writing world.
    Again well done and congratulations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I want to go and visit you Mark you sounds amazing and just the type of blogger I like....as if I have a type....lol Also your book sounds bloody well interesting if I do say so myself......

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice...insanity does work...smiles....and how cool is elsie giving you the mike for the day to promote it...woot...keep writing man....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I snagged the book, I gave it a read and a review, and I hope it does well. Remember Mark, it always starts slow. Success will come, but you're taking the right first steps, and that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're right, insanity does work!

    Congrats on publishing your book, Mark! (haha...get it? Book Mark?)

    ReplyDelete
  18. We all have to learn to handle criticism, good or bad-- hope all goes well with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love tulips!
    I also love Two Lips.
    Because, without them, we'd have pretty funky looking faces.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I'm here to help any way I can.